Sunday, January 9, 2011

Learn by experience

I've only done one mantra this morning (with my significant other) and have already learned quite a bit. I'm obviously new at this so I imagine it will take some tweaking to get it working smoothly. Lucky you... get to learn from my experience (if you want).

What's going to work for me might not work for you
I shared the thought with my mate this morning then gave the mantra (THE LEAST SHALL BE THE GREATEST). They gave me some good feedback... mostly that it didn't help them feel at peace, more like they were feeling insufficient. And to top that off, there was a question as to what was at the root of the mantra. "I want to be great, so I'll be the least...but still, I want to be great." That paradox wasn't quite working, and I can see why. I'll work on making the mantras more "inspiring." If, however, you are participating in this exercise with me, and a mantra doesn't ring your bell, then feel free to replace it with your own (and then maybe share with me what it is).

Distractions, distractions!
As I did the mantra this morning, I noticed equipment noises outside, kids running around the house looking for Mom and Dad, but most distracting of all? MY STOMACH GROWLING! I think tomorrow I'll try turning on a water feature to dull the distracting noises. If that doesn't work, I'll get some soft music in the background.

Cadence
I can see why most mantras are done in Sanskrit. As I breath in and out (especially at the beginning), I tend to attach parts of the mantra to in inhale, and parts to the exhale. If there is no natural break, or it doesn't fit well, then it ends up feeling forced, and counterproductive. Again, more thought needs to go into it. I'm learning!

Health
Having my head stuffed up certainly does not make things easier. Is some work at force trying to stop me from doing this? It almost succeeded. Almost....

2 comments:

  1. You have mentioned your spouse and your mate, but then in the next sentence referred to this person as "they". What am I missing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying to keep it gender-neutral. There are not multiple spouses, don't worry. :)

    ReplyDelete